2019 Provisional Programme
Registration is from 09.00 Wednesday 23 January 2019, with the first session beginning at 09.50. The conference will finish on Friday 25 January at 16.00.
Wednesday 23 January 2019
The Ronnie MacKeith Prize Lecture:
Dr Suresh Pujar - UCL Great Ormond Street Institute of Child Health, London and Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Trust, London: 'Long term-outcomes after childhood convulsive status epilepticus: What are the determinants of adverse outcomes?'
· Professor Tom Solomon FRCP PhD - Director, NIHR Health Protection Research Unit in Emerging and Zoonotic Infections, Institute of Infection and Global Health, University of Liverpool: 'Liverpool's Role in Tackling Brain Infections in the UK and Globally'.
· Dr Vanessa van der Linden - Paediatric Neurologist, Barao de Lucena Hospital, Recife Brazil: 'Congenital Zika Syndrome: beyond microcephaly'.
· Professor Yanick J Crow - MRC Institute of Genetic and Molecular Medicine, University of Edinburgh, UK Institute Imagine, Universite Paris Descartes, Paris, France: 'Treatment approaches in the type l interferonopathies'.
Wednesday Welcome Evening Reception
We would be delighted if you could join us at the welcome reception in West Bay at the Titanic Hotel on the evening of Wednesday 23 January 2019 (titanichotelliverpool.com). Cascade Music will play clarinet and guitar songs and music, some of which are inspired by Liverpool’s famous bands. They are resident musicians at Alder Hey Hospital where they interact with patients, families and staff on hospital wards, engaging with them and offering access to creative opportunities. After the reception, you are free to explore the wonderful range of restaurants that Liverpool has to offer.
Thursday 24 January 2019
Personal Practice Sessions (parallel sessions)
· Epilepsy Surgery
Dr Anand Iyer, Consultant Paediatric Neurologist and Dr Sasha Burn - Alder Hey Children’s NHS Foundation Trust.
· Vestibular Disorders in Children
Dr Soumit Dasgupta, Consultant Audiovestibular Physician/Neurotologist - Alder Hey Children’s NHS Foundation Trust
The Ronnie Mackeith Guest Lecturers:
· Professors Peter and Carol Camfield, Dalhousie University, Canada: 'The adult life of children with epilepsy'.
· Dr Anu Jacob – Consultant Adult Neurologist, Lead - Neuromyelitis Optica Serice, The Walton Centre NHS Trust, Liverpool: 'Neuromyelitis Optica and related disorders: Can you learn anything from an adult neurologist?'
· Professor Tony Marson – Professor of Neurology, University of Liverpool and The Walton Centre: 'Improving outcomes and services: Are we focussing on the right things?'
International Guest Speakers:
· Professor Jaime Carrizosa Moog - Titular Professor in Child Neurology, Paediatric Department, Child and Adolescent Service, University of Antioquia, Medellín Colombia, South America: 'Sleepwalking and sleep paralysis: high prevalence in Colombian families with genetic generalised epilepsy'.
· Dr Andrea Rey Becerra - Honorary Aggregate Professor, University of the Republic Uruguay, Chief of NeuroPaediatrics Service, Asociacion Española and President of the Uruguayan Chapter of the League Against Epilepsy: 'The origins and development of Paediatric Neurology in Uruguay'.
· Dr Charles K Hammond - Consultant Paediatric Neurologist, Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, Ghana: 'Child Neurology Practice in Ghana'.
Thursday BPNA Annual Conference Dinner
Please join us for the conference reception and dinner in the historic Grade II Cunard Building located on Liverpool’s waterfront. The night begins with a drinks reception in the building’s British Music Experience - a museum which tells the story of British Music through costumes, instruments, performance and memorabilia from the Beatles and Bowie to Adele, Oasis and X Factor (britishmusicexperience.com). You will then be called through to be seated for dinner in the magnificently restored former first-class passenger departure lounge in Cunard House (cunardhouse.co.uk). After dinner, you will enjoy music and dancing to the sound of a Ceilidh Band.
Friday 25 January 2019
Personal Practice Sessions (parallel sessions)
· Neurosurgical Spasticity Management
Dr Ram Kumar, Consultant Paediatric Neurologist & Dr Benedetta Pettorini - Alder Hey Children’s NHS Foundation Trust.
· Neuromuscular Disorders: Floppy Infant Diagnosis and Initial Management
Dr Rajesh Madhu - Alder Hey Children’s NHS Foundation Trust.
· Dr Aileen McGonigal - Consultant Epileptologist, Aix-Marseille University, INSERM, Institut de Neuroscience des Systèmes and Clinical Neurophysiology Department, Timone Hospital, Marseille, France: 'Paediatric stereo-EEG and epilepsy surgery: Marseille experience'.
· Mr Conor Mallucci - Consultant Paediatric Neurosurgeon, Alder Hey Children's Hospital: 'Research into Hydrocephalus and Ventriculoperitoneal (VP) Shunt; Results of the Basics Trial'.
· Dr Michael J Griffiths - Senior Clinical Lecturer, Institute of Infection and Global Health, University of Liverpool, Honorary Paediatric Neurology Consultant, Alder Hey Children’s NHS Foundation Trust, Liverpool: 'Novel advances in diagnostic approaches and insights into brain infection'.